The Castle of Montbrun with its origins, traceable, to over 2000 years ago. Full of mysteries and numerous legends. In the Roman time the lands here were called TRADOS; which, freely translated, means: Land of dispossession; whether this has to be explained in the sense of capitulation, indulgence, loyalty or submission is left in the middle by the Latin dictionary. In that time, the Celts lived here. It was a rich land (territory) and there were, according to the peoples account goldmines within its borders. For that reason, but possibly also to hide and to defend themselves against the, closely quartered, Roman legions, they built, aside the huts wherein they lived, a large and complex network of underground corridors and caves (cellars) which were connected to each other. Did the Celts, 2000 years ago, find it necessary to guard this valley with their underground paces,.. in approximately 500, the Franks built here a wooden castle tower and there was, apparently then, still a then obvious and clear reason.
Possibly it was the legendary treasure that, according to the peoples account, still is buried here.. But maybe there were also other motives..? In 1424 Montbrun was, on the order of the French King Charles the Seventh, under siege and attacked by one of his war-lords, because the then castle-lord Guy Brun, who was married to Angele, the sovereign of Pompadour, refused to submit to the authority of the King of France and remained loyal to his lord Henry the Sixth of England. Guy Brun perished during that fight and his wife Angele was banished to a nunnery. His younger brother, Pierre Brun, who was appointed by the Pope Martin the Fifth, as Arch-bishop of Limoges, became the new Lord of Montbrun; under the condition that he swore faith (loyalty) to the French Sovereign. In 1430 he started on the rebuilding of the family mansion, resulting in its present form. Pierre died on February 9, 1457 and left the castle with its lands to a second cousin: Louis Brun. In 1502, Jean Brun, the son of Louis, transformed this old and abandoned seigneurie into a chapel in the honour of Saint Andreas.